Botswana Coronavirus Update (31/03/20)

COVID-19 claims its first victim in Botswana

A Ramotswa woman who died on March 25 and buried on March 28 has become the first Botswana national to succumb to Coronavirus, the Daily News reported earlier this evening. It’s not clear why the news has only just emerged.

The 79-year-old woman reportedly travelled to neighbouring South Africa, the hardest-hit African country so far. The woman is said to have gone to South Africa to attend the funeral of a relative. Contact tracing is currently underway. So far, 14 have been identified, quarantined and tested for COVID- 19 and still awaiting results.


Border patrols intensify to stop illegal entry into Botswana

Meantime, the Botswana Police Service and Botswana Defence Force have intensified 

patrols along Botswana’s borderlines to stop illegal entry into the country and curb the spread of COVID-19, says Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs Minister, Anna Mokgethi. This follows the recent arrest of three ‘border jumpers’ from South Africa.

In an interview with Radio Botswana yesterday, Minister Mokgethi said entry at ungazetted points was a concern and, therefore, a major threat to the country’s efforts to contain the spread of the virus. She said to cut costs and ease congestion at police holding cells and the centre for illegal immigrants, arrested foreigners trying to gain access into the country through ungazetted points were immediately repatriated.

Source: BOPA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.