Botswana’s luxury safari operator &Beyond has this year tipped the scales with 12 different properties included in the prestigious global listing. That constitutes 41% of its entire portfolio, including its very first lodge in South America, as well as a brand new lodge that only opened its doors to guests a mere ten months ago. This is a far cry from last year, when &Beyond was only honoured for 3 awards in the 2018 Readers’ Choice Awards.
The two Botswana safari camps &Beyond has been honoured for are:
#4 &Beyond Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp
&Beyond Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp is located in a 25 000 hectare (61 775 acre) exclusive wildlife concession on the edge of the Okavango Delta, bordering the Moremi Game Reserve. Ideally positioned to explore the magnificence of the Okavango, the camp is known for its elegant tented accommodation, which boasts breath-taking views of the ever-changing Delta.
Blending skilfully with the environment, nine exclusive tented suites, set on raised wooden platforms, are tucked beneath a canopy of ebony trees. Each spacious tent features a luxurious bed that faces the beautiful views of a reed-filled floodplain; an ensuite bathroom with an indoor and al fresco shower and a sprawling veranda with a spacious sitting area and a private sala.
A family tent, consisting of two luxury tents joined by a walkway, offers the perfect setting for families to enjoy the wonders of the Delta.
&Beyond Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp combines more than just two worlds – the remote and wild game viewing experience of Botswana’s lush grasslands offsets the intricate detail of the hidden world of the Delta’s waterways, while the simplicity of canvas merges with the elegance of an exclusive club.
A beautiful view of reed-filled waterways and a sparkling lagoon in front of the camp, entice guests to discover the many wonders of this incredible location. &Beyond Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp is known for its elegant tented accommodation and array of safari adventures.
What makes Xabega special
- Experience a water and wildlife adventure between the lagoons and channels of the Delta and the Okavango floodplains.
- Explore the Nxabega wilderness on day and night safaris, bush walks, and seasonal* mokoro (dugout canoe), motorised boat cruises and fishing.
- Perfect for adventure enthusiasts, couples, families, celebrations, small groups, first-time travellers to Botswana and travellers with limited time to experience both water and land activities.
*Please note: Botswana is currently experiencing a drought. Water levels change yearly and weather patterns are unpredictable. Mokoro trips, motorised boat cruises and fishing activities have been suspended until the region receives adequate rainfall. Please contact us for more information.
#24 &Beyond Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge
Situated on a private concession in the magnificent Okavango Delta, Sandibe boasts exclusive traversing rights over a vast stretch of land adjacent to the wildlife-rich Moremi Game Reserve. Inspired by nature and celebrating its stunning setting, the lodge features the best the Delta has to offer in terms of outstanding design, outstanding wildlife viewing and warm local hospitality.
Set in a cool forest canopy of wild palms and gnarled fig trees, this flagship lodge blends seamlessly with one of Africa’s most breath-taking landscapes. Behind the lodge, golden-grassed floodplains inhabited by a staggering variety of wildlife stretch into the distance, framed by lush palm islands and the spires of giant termite mounds. A channel of clear, cool waters runs directly in front of the elevated guest suites, offering unrestricted views over the shimmering beauty of the Delta.
Inspired by one of the Okavango Delta’s most secretive inhabitants, the guest areas of &Beyond Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge rise out of the trees clad in a wooden skin of shingles and timber that mirrors the pangolin’s body armour of overlapping scales. Organic and handmade, the lodge blends perfectly with its surroundings, becoming one with the Delta itself.
Stairs rising out of bower of trees lead into cool and spacious interior, ending on a terrace set just above ground level. A curved wooden roof soars high overhead, creating a grand and immense sense of scale. High interiors let in the clear African light and the endless Delta horizons, while an interactive kitchen tantalises guests with the fragrant aroma of spices at each mealtime. Warm and inviting, the vast expanse of the bar invites guests to linger over a sundowner drink or a morning cappuccino, enjoying spectacular views over a sea of papyrus from the elevated viewing deck. Descending to the shaded forest floor, a series of decks open out onto a lantern-lit boma formed from huge logs of descending size that mimic the tail bones of the pangolin.
What Makes Sandibe special
- Adjacent to the Moremi Game Reserve, the lodge offers some of the most exceptional wildlife sightings in the Delta, which guests can enjoy on day and night safaris, as well as bush walks.
- The dazzling architectural design brings guests closer to the exceptional natural beauty of the Okavango Delta, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The lodge is perfect for adventure-seekers, wildlife enthusiasts, photographers, first-time or repeat travellers, nature lovers, couples and families.
- Sandibe is situated on the edge of the Delta’s permanent waterways, which means that the areas where game drives and walks take place always remain accessible, even when the Delta waters are at their highest.