Just a day after Pelonomi Venson Moitoi announced her intention to contest for the ruling party’s presidency, President Mokgweetsi Masisi sacked her from Cabinet with immediate effect.
A press release issued following the sacking stated that His Excellency the President has dropped Honourable Venson Moitoi from the position of Minister of Local Government and Rural Development with immediate effect.
The release further said His Excellency the President has appointed Honourable Frans Solomon Van Der Westhuizen the Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, while Honourable Konstantinos Markus takes over as the Assistant Minister of Agricultural Development and Food Security with immediate effect.
The shakeup comes hot on the heels of the last week’s Cabinet redeployment, which saw the President making three major portfolio changes, which were also to take place with immediate effect.
In case you missed it, below are last week’s changes:
- Minister of Transport and Communications, Honourable Onkokame Kitso Mokaila becomes the Minister of Environment, Natural Resources Conservation and Tourism
- Minister of Nationality Immigration and Gender Affairs, Honourable Dorcus Kobela Makgato becomes the Minister of Transport and Communications
- Minister of Environment, Natural Resources Conservation and Tourism, Honourable Tshekedi Standford Khama becomes the Minister of Youth Empowerment Sport and Culture Development
- Minister of Youth Empowerment Sport and Culture Development, Honourable Thapelo Olopeng becomes the Minister of Tertiary Education Research Science and Technology
- Minister of Tertiary Education Research Science and Technology Honourable Ngaka Ngaka becomes Minister of Nationality Immigration and Gender Affairs
Source: Botswana Government Facebook Page