The Permanent Secretary to the President and secretary to Cabinet this week announced that His Excellency the President Dr Mokgweetsi Eric Keabetswe Masisi has made the following cabinet redeployment. The press release stated the changes were to take place with immediate effect.
- Minister of Transport and Communications, Honourable Onkokame Kitso Mokaila becomes the Minister of Environment, Natural Resources Conservation and Tourism
- Minister of Nationality Immigration and Gender Affairs, Honourable Dorcus Kobela Makgato becomes the Minister of Transport and Communications
- Minister of Environment, Natural Resources Conservation and Tourism, Honourable Tshekedi Standford Khama becomes the Minister of Youth Empowerment Sport and Culture Development
- Minister of Youth Empowerment Sport and Culture Development, Honourable Thapelo Olopeng becomes the Minister of Tertiary Education Research Science and Technology
- Minister of Tertiary Education Research Science and Technology Honourable Ngaka Ngaka becomes Minister of Nationality Immigration and Gender Affairs
As usual, Batswana have something to say about this week’s redeployment of cabinet ministers. Observing the discussion thread on the BWGovernment Facebook page, below is the summary of interesting observations I made:
- The people commenting felt President Masisi shouldn’t have moved Hon. Olopeng from the Youth Ministry as he’s generally believed to have built fantastic relations with and understands the youth. The fear here is that is with ‘TK’ Tshekedi Khama, who takes over from Olopeng, the youth will be confronted with an individual who does not care at all. People seem to believe TK will soon lose interest and subsequently neglect his duties, at which point President Masisi will swoop in and show him the door, citing his incompetency!
- Batswana generally appear ecstatic to have Kitso Mokaila back at Tourism, as he’s believed to have done a stellar job when he previously held the position. However, there’s some concern because Mokaila’s a friend of the Khama’s, who are regarded as having benefitted unjustly from the Tourism Ministry.
- There also appears to be the hope that with popular Hon Dorcus Makgatho taking over Transport, Air Botswana could finally be privatised. As lovely as she is, she’s generally believed to take absolutely no prisoners and gets things done.
What are your thoughts on the redeployment of cabinet ministers? Are you happy with the changes? Please share your views with YourBotswana.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed above are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official position of YourBotswana. For more, please visit the BWGovernment Facebook page.
*At the time of going to press, the article had been shared 213 times in 24 hours.
Source: Botswana Government Facebook Page